Once in a Lifetime Brewery Opportunity

John Eaton

South Jersey FC Member
Greetings my barley soaked brethren, I hope everyone is staying safe, and brewing lots of great beers, in these trying times.

Catchy title huh? Some of you may already know what's coming, as many are familiar with my total loss of taste and smell, while still brewing some good beers. Just ask Fish. He's probably still mad at me for beating him.
Well, the taste & smell has not returned no matter how much I hoped it would (I'm still sort of in denial about it....). That, plus a lifestyle change moving to MD, trying to get back to the hobbies I abandoned for brewing, and a pesky triple heart bypass for Thanksgiving has brought me to the realization that my brewing days are over. As much as I would like to keep brewing, it just does not make sense anymore. I probably miss hanging out with the club more than I do brewing at this point.

So, as the Hiller's always made it a point to emphasize my unofficial brewery name, the Johnnycakes Brewery is up for sale. I'm not going to get into all the details here now, but it is a complete electric brewing setup in a vertical tree style. I'll be happy to detail it if there is an interest. I really need it to be a package deal, and will look locally as well if there is no real interest from the club. Worst case I'll part it out if I have to. I'll even deliver it to NJ for free!

I wish you all a Great BBD 2021, and look forward to coming up for BBD 2022!

And regarding that triple bypass, it's all on Andy Capp Hot Fries. Those damn 3 oz 'single serving bags' were soooooooo good. I'd replaced them with Old Bay cheese curls down here, but had to give them up too (state law requires all food to be made with Old bay in MD - go ahead, look it up. There's even a beer from Flying Dog!) I'm 99% recovered and back to as normal as you can be, although always to be known as a heart patient. We mixed and poured 46 bags of concrete and rebuilt the front porch over the last few weeks. So, I've got not nothing to complain about, thankfully!

Cheers!
John

Wow, that's rough John, but glad you're on the rebound. It's been a while since we brewed together, so I don't remember your setup. When you get a chance can you jot it down?

Glad you're ok John! We miss hanging out too. Jr and I were at Iron Hill a few weeks back, I looked in the meeting room and was thinking about "our" table in the back. Good times!

Wow, sorry to hear about all of that, but glad to hear you're OK! Was just thinking about you, I had to drive down to Ridgley MD for work today...

Hope to see you again before too long!

D
Wow, that's rough John, but glad you're on the rebound. It's been a while since we brewed together, so I don't remember your setup. When you get a chance can you jot it down?
Dave, its a 5gal setup, 10 gal electric brew kettle, 7gal HLT, 10 gal igloo mash tun, & RIMS. The control is home made with a PID controller. Currently its only a single pump. I bought another panel for expansion, but never got there.
It includes a fairly complete yeast propagation setup, including freezing supplies.
There is also a 4 chamber fermentation cabinet with custom code STC1000 fermentation PID heating and cooling, but the glycol chiller is done for.
Several kegs, chest cooler (not freezer) that holds i think 3 kegs, 5lb steel co2, fast carb injecton pump, & keg&carboy cleaner. Most parts for a SS pipe 3 tap setup.
A few pounds of frozen hops, and pbly 50ish lbs of 3+yr old grains.
And a bunch of random crap to go with it.
John

And a Fast Ferment conical with heating blanket.
And a 7 drawer hops oast.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the well wishes. Im looking forward to getting back to the in person activities! I cant taste your awesome beers, but just hanging out works!

Wow, sorry to hear about all of that, but glad to hear you're OK! Was just thinking about you, I had to drive down to Ridgley MD for work today...

Hope to see you again before too long!
Hit me up next time! There's bunch of new breweries popping up. Including one 5 min from the house. They got approved, but it still looks like an old service station so far.

Glad you're ok John! We miss hanging out too. Jr and I were at Iron Hill a few weeks back, I looked in the meeting room and was thinking about "our" table in the back. Good times!
Yeah, good times there. I thought i saw something about Lappy being back there. That can only be good!

Back