How to Make Mead - Demo Day - SATURDAY MARCH, 20 Time: 10:00 AM

So it's been a month since Frank and Frank's zoom got us all started! How's everyone's mead doing? I have the 2 on the right in the picture below doing a little aging before I taste test and decide on back sweetening and acid additions. :cool: One is with the blueberry honey from the club buy with the maple syrup added. I'm sure I'll be adding a bit more syrup as fermentation will strip out the maple flavor. The second is the Raspberry honey from the buy. Going plain traditional on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0065 (1).JPG
    IMG_0065 (1).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
So it's been a month since Frank and Frank's zoom got us all started! How's everyone's mead doing? I have the 2 on the right in the picture below doing a little aging before I taste test and decide on back sweetening and acid additions. :cool: One is with the blueberry honey from the club buy with the maple syrup added. I'm sure I'll be adding a bit more syrup as fermentation will strip out the maple flavor. The second is the Raspberry honey from the buy. Going plain traditional on this one.
I'm doing a simple dry and bubbly mead (hopefully!) with my Raspberry. It's racked to a secondary carboy and was just going to let it ride for while (another 2 mos?) before even tasting it.

I'm doing a simple dry and bubbly mead (hopefully!) with my Raspberry. It's racked to a secondary carboy and was just going to let it ride for while (another 2 mos?) before even tasting it.
What was your starting and ending gravities Matt? I'd taste in the next week or so to determine if you want to back sweeten.

What was your starting and ending gravities Matt? I'd taste in the next week or so to determine if you want to back sweeten.
Started at 1.114, but haven't yet measured FG. I do want it to be almost like a dry champagne, so I'm hoping it finished at the projected 1.001.
Then I'll keg and carbonate to desired bubbliness.
Does anyone use fining or cold crashing to accelerate clarity?

Started at 1.114, but haven't yet measured FG. I do want it to be almost like a dry champagne, so I'm hoping it finished at the projected 1.001.
Then I'll keg and carbonate to desired bubbliness.
Does anyone use fining or cold crashing to accelerate clarity?
I don't always using finings to clear but I do always cold crash for roughly 2 days. A lot of times this does the trick. If it needs more, I like Super Kleer.

Hey guys, gravity has been stable for me for 9 days at 1.000. Thinking of racking to secondary but similar to Matt thinking of adding biofine clear prior to speed up clearing but I read that finings can strip out tanin. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

About two weeks ago I racked my 5 gallon batch from my fermonster into a 3 gallon carboy and then two 1 gallon jugs all glass with very little headspace. This was after back sweetening with more honey I got the gravity up to about 1.018 about three days before the transfer. About a week before back sweetening and racking I added K-meta and K-sorbate as per Ron's suggestions above. Today I racked the 3 gallon fermenter into a 3 gallon keg I used a sterile siphon starter https://brulosophy.com/2014/06/19/the-sterile-siphon-starter-a-review/ I've used this to transfer a lot of beer with no problems. I found that the mead going through the tubing and even in the carboy got very bubbly. Just wondering what could possibly cause the bubbly foamy mead. Should I add a little more kmeta to the keg in case the bubbles possibly added some oxygen to my keg my keg was purged with co2 before I racked. I racked on to root beer and vanilla extract. Something I saw on read it I figured I would try it out.

Possible the mead had some CO2 coming out of solution during transfer causing the bubbles. In other words it was slightly naturally carbonated. If that’s the case, probably don’t need to worry about oxygenation.

Back