Search results

1. Tom Carola

** How to Access SJFC Member Forums **

Hey John, you should be all set now!
  2. Tom Carola

Flying Fish Brewery demise

Sad to see one of the NJ brewing pioneers go like this... hopefully someone comes in and makes good use of the space!
  3. Tom Carola

Jockey box for Legion fundraiser

Hey Michael, The sign-up sheet and rules for the jockey box is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11CiYK6KnURLyQh_bcf9hC6r7JH3RNt4nZVGL3tGoaMU/edit#gid=0 I have both boxes at my house. Feel free to send me a message and we can coordinate pick-up.
  4. Tom Carola

Bus Trip November 18th Human Robot Haus & Imprint Brewery Rescheduled trip new locations *official announcement*

If you need to request a refund, please use this link or send me a message. https://forms.gle/u3eqJhwsp17byczm7 Thanks!
  5. Tom Carola

** How to Access SJFC Member Forums **

Should be all set now! Let me know if you have any issues
  6. Tom Carola

2023 SJFC Membership Survey

Hey Everyone, Please take a few minutes to fill out the 2023 Membership Survey! This is your chance to give the board feedback so that we can make this club a great experience for our members. https://forms.gle/brnN95x8LMxZ6f5y8 If you have any issues with the form, please let me know...
  7. Tom Carola

Iron Hill Brew with a Legend 2023

Okay- per their social media person… “Brew with a Legend has currently been delayed.” No more info at this time. I’ll keep an eye out for updates.
  8. Tom Carola

Iron Hill Brew with a Legend 2023

I wrote them an email and contacted them on social media to see if I could get something. I remember seeing the "registration link will be available soon" thing but it doesn't seem like they ever followed up on it. I wonder if they are scrapping it... or at least pushing it back maybe? I'll...
  9. Tom Carola

January 2023 Meeting- Tues 1/3 @Tonewood Barrington

Meeting reminder: Tues 1/3 Tonewood Brewing (Barrington) 50 Clements Bridge Rd Barrington, NJ 08007 First meeting of the year so we will be discussing future plans and asking for input! If you haven't checked out the members-only thread here, please do. Philly Sour competition is running now...
  10. Tom Carola

Kölsch Tips? Yeast suggestions?

Thanks for the responses. Well I have a K-97 sitting in my fridge so I guess that will be the next attempt! For the grain bill- I had been using this BYO article as my guideline: https://byo.com/article/koelsch-style-profile/ So maybe the next beer I will sub out the vienna for wheat... and...
  11. Tom Carola

Kölsch Tips? Yeast suggestions?

What is everyone's experience and/or recommendation for Kölsch- especially on yeast strains? Hoping to do a few this year, so I want to nail down a good process. I have a small batch going right now with the Lallemand Köln strain and it seems to be a real slow starter. Pitched Friday evening...
  12. Tom Carola

How to Make Mead - Demo Day - SATURDAY MARCH, 20 Time: 10:00 AM

Finally got around to making my mead. Big thanks to @Frank Hiller Jr. , and @jimfish for emphasizing the use of a bucket over a carboy... just degassed with my drill attachment for the first time today and holy cow I would not have wanted to do that in a carboy. You guys saved me from a mess!
  13. Tom Carola

Duotight Fittings?

I’m in the process of converting my stuff over to duotight. I overhauled the whole kegerator at my parent’s shore house and I really like it so far…. So I took the plunge for my setup at home too. Ive been using similar john guest connectors like it for years with some misting systems, so I had...
  14. Tom Carola

Mold on beer surface?

This occurred in the primary? You'll want to look into thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing all your cold-side equipment- especially what you used to transfer from your kettle to your fermenter. Might even be worth it to replace any tubing that you can't guarantee a thorough cleaning with. What...
  15. Tom Carola

Lallemand Philly Sour - Phenolic?

@Matt Talbot did the phenolic taste/aroma end up in the final beer? I've never noticed it before (I've done 5 beers with this yeast now), but I've also never taken a sample mid-fermentation. I've really enjoyed it so far. I admittedly never did another (intentionally) sour beer before this, but...
  16. Tom Carola

Hopback/Hop Rocket

Yeah from a hopping perspective I guess you are limited by what you can get as whole leaf... how does it handle other adjuncts? Obviously pellet hops clog it up, but I'd be curious how it would handle something like hibiscus or lavender. I might take you up on borrowing it. Will you be at the...
  17. Tom Carola

Hopback/Hop Rocket

haha I'm still mad at myself for not bringing some of that base stout along with the chicory variant to the last meeting. I'll make sure I bring these things for a side-by-side in the future. What got me thinking about this was I want to play around with some saisons soon. I was thinking maybe...
  18. Tom Carola

Hopback/Hop Rocket

Does anyone still use these? Seems like everything is geared towards whirlpools and hop stands nowadays. I've been increasingly interested in finding ways to "split" my batches and make them into different things after the boil. Thought about picking up (or making) a hopback so I can sorta...
Back