Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Plate Chiller

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Good old copper coil

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

Justin Clerval

South Jersey FC Member
I'm looking for opinions on which I should go with. I get in essence they are the same idea, cold water flows opposite the direction of hot wort, but any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Cleaning and maintenance issues, chill speed, water consumption, anything along those lines.

My issue with both counterflow and plate is that you can't see if they're clean inside. Copper coil is easy to clean and is sanitized by adding it to the boil kettle 15 minutes before flame out. The downside of coil is that it's slow. That's corrected by adding a pump-driven recirculating whirlpool.

I like my counterflow chiller a lot. But I've never used a plate so I can't really "vote" other than to tell you I like my CFC :)

i have a plate chiller and never used a counter flow. i love the plate chiller. to clean it i just recirculate some pbw through it for awhile and it basically cleans itself. every once in awhile ill boil it to try to get any residual gunk out but its never much.

either one is great and cut a lot of time out of my brew day and cut down on my water waste a lot.

Using my coil on steroids I can chill 6 gallons to under 90 with 10 gallons of water in under 15 minutes. The 10 gallons is then used for cleanup.

I'm still using my immersion coils with my counterflow, for prechill. Haven't used a plate chiller, but I think they use the least amount of water than a cfc. My CFC certainly uses less than immersion chilling did.

I like my plate chiller a lot. However, I forgot to clean it immediately after my brew day once and getting it clean was a colossal pain in the ass. It is super easy to use and extremely efficient, just requires a little extra care.

I built a CFC a few years ago, and it wasn't that difficult. That being said, @Brett Mullin recommended going 30 foot long, rather than the more typical 25 feet. Glad I did, and again, thanks Brett.
It works great, and isn't difficult to clean. I don't know about the physics of the interior of the plate chiller, but I personally don't know how good the flow through the corners of the plate is, and therefore how clean they get. Also I believe the inner space between plates is smaller (that's why its more efficient), but also allows for more chance to become clogged (especially if you suck any kettle trub up). I think the advantage of plate vs CFC is efficiency and smaller size, but my CFC chills down the wort to mid 60's as fast as I can pump it through with my chugger pump in cooler months, and I barely have to slow it down in the heat of summer to get it below 70°F.
Yes cleaning is more difficult w a CFC vs Immersion Chiller. I usually will make acouple gallons of One Step or PBW in a spare brew kettle and recirculate during the boil, then recirculate rinse water, then hook up to my boil kettle and run boiling wort through it the last 10 min or so of the boil to sanitize.
As to water usage, u know its more efficient than a IC, but I usually run the runoff into my pool. When it's too cold to brew outside, I bring my subpump in and fill my 10g igloo Mash tun with ice water and recirculate. That works wonders. I'd say it takes about 2x the volume of water to chill vs volume of wort, but that will vary depending on the size of your CFC/Plate/IC too.

Kevin Kru said:
[post]1538[/post] So no one else dumps a bag of ice in the boil kettle to bring it down to temp?
Maybe in the extract days....Can't be any worse than 'top off with water'.
I do know that a bucket of snow in the sink with the pump works nicely, as does the boil kettle in a snow mound.

Not really answering your question, but I dig my 50' X 1/2" copper IC. Easy to clean, easy to sanitize, but mostly because I can control the chilling rate and do whirlpool hopping at specific temperatures for certain durations.
I runoff hot water to the pool like Dan, and recirculate ice water to save water when the pool is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a love hate with my plate chiller for a while. I love it now but love costs money.

Obviously you need some sort of hop spider. Hops and plate chillers make for a serious disaster, trust me. I went big and got one from http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/ Not cheap but it does the job.

Since I have two pumps (more money) I fill my HLT with large blocks of ice (when I remeberto make them) and with the right flow I can almost chill in a single passs. I have a cheap thermometer on the outflow to monitor.
I also run it 10-15 mins during the boil to sanitize it.

Cleaning.. Tim said it best. Yeah can't be lazy. You're tired and in my case normally fairly shitted up after a brew day but you have to clean it. I run PBW through the whole system, then soak it the whole thing in PBW overnight, next day I use a hose with a facet fitting and QR so I can give a good flushing. Quick soak in Star-stan, blow it out dry with CO2. I'm single and don't have much else to do really.

Yeah it's lotta effort. Do over, I'd probably do a CFC, just for the fact I don't have to worry about hop debris as much.

Okay...so after reading some thoughts, pro and cons, and cost analysis I've decided to construct a counter flow chiller.

A couple of questions, what in your view, is an optimal length?
The outer hose, does everyone use garden hoses, or has anyone used high temp PEX tubing, or even silicone tubing?

Dan's the man (@Dan_Ell_Wang_Er). Read his earlier post and get his specs. He made several a while back and I'm kicking myself for not taking one. They looked really nice and from his post sounds like working well.
Myself, I'm still rocking my immersion chiller.

1) Size does matter! The longer you make it, the more thermal exchange will take place. I was going to make 2x 25' CFC's but Brett talked me into longer ones. So I bought the materials for 100' and made 3x31-32' CFC's. You won't get a full 25' length out of 25' hose.
2) don't buy vinyl hose. You want heavy duty rubber. I got a 100' black Goodyear brand hose. I've heard stories of the budget vynal hoses melting, so get quality products.
3) I'd suggest finding 2 more people who want to build one, and splitting the cost. I'd be willing to help assemble them when the time comes.

Dan_Ell_Wang_Er said:
[post]1554[/post] 1) Size does matter! The longer you make it, the more thermal exchange will take place. I was going to make 2x 25' CFC's but Brett talked me into longer ones. So I bought the materials for 100' and made 3x31-32' CFC's. You won't get a full 25' length out of 25' hose.
2) don't buy vinyl hose. You want heavy duty rubber. I got a 100' black Goodyear brand hose. I've heard stories of the budget vynal hoses melting, so get quality products.
3) I'd suggest finding 2 more people who want to build one, and splitting the cost. I'd be willing to help assemble them when the time comes.

Sounds like a DIY night.....

Back