Filtering Beer during Transfer

Robert McKeon

Barley Legal Member
I recently made a beer with 3.5 oz of dry hopping after 5 days in the Primary fermenter.
Let it settle for 5 days before transferring to keg for conditioning.
During the transfer some of the hops clogged up the transfer hose at the ball lock connection to the keg.
I have never used more then 1oz before in dry hopping and this has never been a problem.
Can I use and in-line type filter the beer during transfer to eliminate this problem?
If yes, any filter suggestions?
Do I need to throw out the cartridge each time or can you clean them?
Micron size?

Thanks, Bob

JamesHolland

Vice President
The first thing that comes to mind is the Bouncer beer filter. If you scroll down you can get to the "home" version. I have not used them personally but I believe the reviews are good.

It sounds like you're pressure transferring, but if you're not, you can go to your homebrew store, get a reusable mesh hop bag, sanitize it by boiling it for 10 minutes and put that over the bottom of your racking cane.

How are you transferring (auto-siphon, gravity from a port,...)? And from what kind of vessel (carboy, brew bucket, conical...)?
Is it from the fermenter into the ball lock liquid out post?

Rather than filter, you could dry hop in a large mesh bag to contain the hops.
Or with carboys, I used the trick @JamesHolland notes above with my auto-siphon.

I had a filter and only used it a couple times because I found it introduced oxygen too often and wasted more beer in the transfer than I was willing to give up.

Robert McKeon

Barley Legal Member
Thanks
I am pushing from a glass carboy into a ball lock keg with CO2.
I have a home made transfer rig that I use.
I will give James suggestion a try.
I was not too keen on the filter method because of the reasons you mentioned.

John Pursglove

Barley Legal Member
Thanks
I am pushing from a glass carboy into a ball lock keg with CO2.
I have a home made transfer rig that I use.
I will give James suggestion a try.
I was not too keen on the filter method because of the reasons you mentioned.
If you can cold crash you are probably better off doing that. I tried the filter thing years ago and it didn't work all that great a lot of beer gets lost in the process. I used to add gelatine to my primary fermentor while cold crashing. I haven't done that lately either and after cold crashing and sitting in a keg in cold storage for a week or so you get some really clear beer.