Getting started - Kegging

I'd really like to get off the bottling. I have a number questions I could use help with. I searched the current forums without too much luck, and I tried to sort through the archives, but they really are hard to navigate. For starters:

CO2 - What are the best places to get CO2 refills? Can I buy tanks from the refillers? I was thinking it would be good to have one 20 lb for home and a 10 lb for backup and road trips. I hear I could get CO2 refill from welding supply store or fire extinguisher stores - would these be OK to use? What brands of regulators should I look for, or avoid? I'd like to be able to have two different pressures available. Does it matter if I did a Single primary regulator with secondary regulator? Or dual primary?

Keg - Pretty sure I want to go with 5 gal. ball lock, mostly because seem to be more common. Are the Plastic tap fittings OK or should I go stainless tap fittings?

Thanks for your help.

You can get CO2 at welding and industrial gas suppliers. South Jersey Welding (Route 38 near 73) does tank swaps so you don't have to deal with getting the tank hydrostatically tested every five years or so. In my experience (not just at SJ Welding), the cost to refill tanks is almost the same for 5, 10 and 20#.

Keg and Barrel in Berlin fills tanks, although I don't think they swap.

The plastic ball lock connectors are fine and last pretty well. I've used them for years with no problem.

I like having a dual regulator for carbonating and serving at different pressures, especially with a multi-tap kegerator.

I use a Tap-Rite dual regulator which I bought on Amazon. A couple of years ago when swapping tanks I dropped it on one of the gauges which caused it to leak. I contacted Tap-Rite and they replaced the gauge for free, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Keg and Barrel in Berlin sells tanks and does refills. They also have regulators and everything you need to start kegging.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brett @ BYOB may have everything too, though I'm not as familiar with what he has on hand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back