Hopback/Hop Rocket

Tom Carola

President
Does anyone still use these?

Seems like everything is geared towards whirlpools and hop stands nowadays.

I've been increasingly interested in finding ways to "split" my batches and make them into different things after the boil. Thought about picking up (or making) a hopback so I can sorta "infuse" half the batch on the way to the chiller and then maybe leave the other half of the batch in the kettle for whirlpool or steeping.

That would be an interesting batch to bring to a meeting!
I've never personally used a hopback for brewdays, whirlpool instead.
I know people still use them as a Randall when serving for both hops and other infusions, like fruit.

That would be an interesting batch to bring to a meeting!
haha I'm still mad at myself for not bringing some of that base stout along with the chicory variant to the last meeting. I'll make sure I bring these things for a side-by-side in the future.

What got me thinking about this was I want to play around with some saisons soon. I was thinking maybe pack a hopback with lavender or something for half the batch... then once I pump out that 5 gallons, turn the whirlpool on and add some of the citra incognito for a little while. The time it takes to pump the first 5 gallons out should get me to a good whirlpool temp.

I could always just forego the hopback and flavor the first 5 gallons in the fermenter with the raw ingredients or a tincture... but that doesn't let me play around with hot side interactions like I could if I was doing a dedicated 5 gallon batch.

I have a Blichman hop rocket that I used a few times as a hopback I never did a side by side with whirlpool but I preferred the whirlpool beers more. The hoprocket has some drawbacks, really should be used with a pump, whole leaf only (can't find all hop varieties in leaf), maxes out at 3oz, I like at least 4oz.

I'll let you borrow if you want to try it out.

Yeah from a hopping perspective I guess you are limited by what you can get as whole leaf... how does it handle other adjuncts? Obviously pellet hops clog it up, but I'd be curious how it would handle something like hibiscus or lavender.

I might take you up on borrowing it. Will you be at the meeting tonight?

Back