House yeast strain

Frank Hiller Jr.

2018 Brewer of the Year
What's everybody's go to yeast and why?

I'm a big Safale-05 fan. Never done me wrong and handles the low-mid 70's temps of my condo.

I don't use a house strain, but rather try to brew to style with recommended yeast. I'll often make a few batches from one pitch, but they'll be style appropriate for that strain.

Similar to Dan I usually try to stick with recommended yeast for the style. Now that I can brew 10 gal batches though I'm thinking of splitting my batches and using recommended in one and then S-05 or 1056 in the other just to see how much diff there is in the yeast. Belgian styles rely heavily on yeast so I'm guessing there'll be huge variances there but I think many American styles will be a lot less variance.

I use s-05 for everything I can make that it's useful for. Wouldn't call it a house strain, but if i"m making something American or clean, it's what I use.

I do what Dan does, use yeast for style of beer. I just use US05, US04, and Nottingham. Each one worked great. I started each at 64 degrees fahrenheit for 3-5 days then moved beer upstairs to 68 degrees until i bottled. so far so good

I also like to use the safale-05 when I'm going dry yeast. But I'd say my go-to is White Labs California Ale (WLP001 I think)

i dont think it makes much sense to have a "house strain" at the homebrew level. professionally, yes, you are trying to milk that yeast for every cell because its a consumable. so if you can stretch a single yeast strain/pitch over a number of beers your operating cost goes down. when im spending 6-12 dollars on yeast i am going to pick the most ideal yeast for the beer i am making.

Not so much a cost issue for me since I buy new each time, but rather knowing how that strain "behaves" in my environment

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Back