Immersion coil to heat mash tun temp

Matt Talbot

South Jersey FC Member
Someone must have done this...

Rather than making a HERMS or RIMS, I'm thinking of just placing my copper coil immersion chiller in my round Igloo mash tun and running hot water through it from the HLT.

With this I should be able to do step mashes or adjust temperature without adding more water. It's 50' of copper tubing and fits perfectly.

Should work right?

The only thing I would caution, is to make sure you are stirring the mash. you will get localized hot spots around the coils. Temperature control will also be very tedious. but i say go for it.

Like Ryan, I'd just make sure to stir.

But just trying to see this in my mind, why wouldn't you put the coil in your HLT and make it a HERMS? Instead of pumping hot water through it from the HLT through the mash tun, pump wort through from the Mash tun and through the HLT. You can either adjust the temp of your HLT to manage heat and keep the pump running the whole time (which is what I do) or keep your HLT (very) hot and turn the pump on and off

Chris, mostly I was trying to keep it simple (no new tubing, nothing else to clean), but I do have a 25' x 1/4" copper coil (my old immersion chiller) that maybe I could use to do a HERMS setup. If you're at the meeting tonight I'll try to catch up with you.

Back