Incognito Hopshots Testing

AdamL

So at the Little Brew day at my house yesterday, we did some experimenting with the incognito hopshots.. We boiled a 15 gallon mash, split off 5gals to my mash&boil, and 10 gallons to my boil kettle. I will not be adding any dryhops to either batch. The estimated amount of hopshots for a 5 gallon batch is listed to be between 10 and 40 ml.

5 Gallon batch:
no boil
whirlpool at 175
30 ml of citra
30 ml of mosaic
IY 38 Juice
blowoff tube
Link to No Boil Tilt Data

10 Gallon batch:
60 minute boil
1 oz warrior
whirlpool at 175
30 ml of citra
30 ml of mosaic
Wyeast 1318
Pressure fermenting @ 15 psi
Link to Boil Tilt Data

My OGs are different due to adding a little too much water to the Boil kettle. I forgot that my boiloff was a lot less with the steam condenser.

This stuff is incredibly messy. I normally just rinse my boil kettle out, but there is a film of the hopshots all over the boil kettle and the mash&boil.

Has anyone else experimented with this stuff yet?

Last edited:
I'll have a beer at the meeting made with 10ml of Citra and 10ml of Mosaic Incognito @ 160F for 30-40 mins in the whirlpool.
Also fermented with Imperial Juice yeast, then a short dry hop (2 days) with 1oz Cryo Citra and 1 oz Cryo Mosaic.

I dont plan on dry hopping mine to see how much flavor these really give off. The aroma coming off my spunding valve smells amazing.

I dont plan on dry hopping mine to see how much flavor these really give off. The aroma coming off my spunding valve smells amazing.
I'm actually thinking of re-brewing and skipping the dry hop. My first impression: Incognito is amazing!

The impressions that I got on the Incognito were that they provided a great amount of flavor, but did not create the aroma, or at least the strength of aroma if that makes sense, that you get with dry hopping. I used 15ml citra and 15ml mosaic, added at flameout and whirlpool at 180. I have already rebrewed my beer and I am adding dry hopping to try and bring about the aroma I feel that mine is lacking, as well as some of the "juicy" aspect. To avoid some of the mess I added with 5 minutes left in the boil and that seemed to work very well. We will see how much it impacts the flavor but my wort didn't look like I had an oil slick on top when I pitched my yeast and there was a lot less film left in my boil kettle. More to follow but so far I am really enjoying the result of Incognito.

The impressions that I got on the Incognito were that they provided a great amount of flavor, but did not create the aroma, or at least the strength of aroma if that makes sense, that you get with dry hopping. I used 15ml citra and 15ml mosaic, added at flameout and whirlpool at 180. I have already rebrewed my beer and I am adding dry hopping to try and bring about the aroma I feel that mine is lacking, as well as some of the "juicy" aspect. To avoid some of the mess I added with 5 minutes left in the boil and that seemed to work very well. We will see how much it impacts the flavor but my wort didn't look like I had an oil slick on top when I pitched my yeast and there was a lot less film left in my boil kettle. More to follow but so far I am really enjoying the result of Incognito.
Was this a 5 gal batch? And did you do any bittering?

Was this a 5 gal batch? And did you do any bittering?
This was a 5 gallon batch and I did 1.5oz Magnum ( I think 11.5% AA but I don't have it in front of me) as at 60 min. It added a good amount of bitterness, too much if your shooting for a NEIPA.

I'll be sampling both my batches tonight. No boiled batch hit my final gravity this morning. It's already carbonated so I should get a pretty good taste on that. My noboil batch is still going but I'll give it a taste and compare.

So i tried both batches tonight. There was a huge flavor from both batches, not much aroma tho. Im going to have to let them both ferment another week i think to settle out. the boiled batch left some mud all over the glass. I got hit with a huge hop flavor in the back of my mouth that isnt going away after trying both beers. I guess ill have to report back after another week .

So I finally got around to throwing my boiled hopshot keg on tap and getting it carbed up.

This was the hop addition/ fermentation..
10 Gallon batch:
60 minute boil
1 oz warrior
whirlpool at 175
30 ml of citra
30 ml of mosaic
Wyeast 1318
Pressure fermenting @ 15 psi

Id like to say i feel the amount of hopshots put in is a perfect amount, taste is great. I feel that the aroma is incredibly lacking.

I just kegged my no boil version today.. wont have another update for another week or so on that

2nd Batch of Incognito testing is complete and tastes great. Aptly dubbed Hoppy Isolation this second attempt ended up as a fantastic NEIPA. I did two dry hop additions, one at day 3 while still at high krausen, then the second at day 7 when fermentation was complete. I did not cold crash before dry hopping, but I did cold crash 4 days after dry hop. Lastly, I used CO2 hop extract as the bittering charge.

Hop Additions
60 min 10 ml CO2 Extract
5 min 15 ml Incognito Mosaic
15 ml Incognito Citra

Dry Hop Day 3 2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra

Dry Hop Day 7 2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra

This beer is great, a good combination of bittering with that juicy new England style and great haze. The Aroma created from the dry hopping is enormous and gives a great first impression. I really like the way this turned out and will definitely brew it again.
I should also mention this is definitely a Double NEIPA. OG 1.082 FG 1.015 8.7%
The next step will be to attempt this shooting for an ABV of 5.5% - 6%

My Smash Maris Otter and Citra Incognito was lacking hop aroma after high krausen so I dry hopped with 3 oz Citra pellets.

5 gallon batch
12 # Maris Otter
Mash 152

Boiled 30 minutes chilled to 185 whirlpool for 30 min where I added 20ml Citra Incognito

Omega Voss Kveik at 90

Dry Hopped 5 days before kegging.

Tapped this Monday

Pretty good flavor it clocks in around 6.5

Next time I think I should add the incognito maybe even just a little in the last 5 minutes of the boil to get some more aroma out of it.

1585316845197.png

So i finally got around to carbing my no boil 5 gal batch with 60 ml of hopshots... Wow the flavor. Aroma...Still almost nothing!

Its def a drinkable beer. I will be doing more no boil beers in the future. I think the 60 ml might have been a tad excessive ( thanks Mike ). I'd say mabye 30-40ml max per 5 gal batch with be perfect for a nice flavor profile.

Back