Lallemand Philly Sour - Phenolic?

Matt Talbot

South Jersey FC Member
Anybody else get a phenolic taste using Lallemand Philly Sour?
It's on day 6 of fermentation and tried a sample: lightly sour but a distinct although mild phenolic taste and aroma.
First time I used it there was zero phenolic taste/aroma.

Simple Gose recipe, 5.5 gallons in fermenter:
50% pilsener
50% white wheat
152F single infusion mash
8 IBU
12g corriander crushed
10g Hawaiian sea salt
16g Philly Sour yeast
70F for 3 days, then 73F, tracked with probe in thermowell so temps are accurate. Recommended temp range is 68F - 77F.
1.046 OG - 1.009 FG (target)

I read about this "wild" yeast in the Inquirer and gather it is getting a following. Anxious to try it. Can you bring some of your last batch to the meeting next week?

Anyone else have experience using it?

@Matt Talbot did the phenolic taste/aroma end up in the final beer? I've never noticed it before (I've done 5 beers with this yeast now), but I've also never taken a sample mid-fermentation.

I've really enjoyed it so far. I admittedly never did another (intentionally) sour beer before this, but I've made a few really nice berliner-weisse style beers with it. Simple grain bill of 70% pale or 2-row barley and 30% malted wheat... and then I played around with some adjunct/fruit additions during fermentation. My favorite was tart cherry candi syrup (from Cascade) added in day 2 of fermentation.

I read about this "wild" yeast in the Inquirer and gather it is getting a following. Anxious to try it. Can you bring some of your last batch to the meeting next week?

I've done plenty of Kettle Sours and gave one of my Gose recipes the Philly sour treatment. I thought was very good. At different ages of the beer I felt I got different fruit flavors from it. I got a lot of peach ...almost peach ring candy when the beer was very young. I got more lemon out of it as it aged. It was good Gose level sour to it. Kettle souring gets me more tart, more sourness than Philly sour does ..but it is definitely an easier brew session.

Back