Simple method method for brewing with RO water

I'd like to start using RO water for brewing and came across this simple method. I have looked at different spreadsheets and programs ,and read a bunch of different tutorials, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
If I follow these directions would it improve my beer?

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/02/water-chemistry-how-to-build-your-water.html

From the website:

"....So how do I start building my water, I’ve seen brewing water calculators online, they look very complicated?

Assuming your source water isn’t off-the-charts hard, post-RO, it’ll be relatively devoid of minerals (remember 9 to 1 reduction). For the basic style of beer, I simply:

-Add 1tsp of calcium chloride per 5 gallons of water
-Add 2% acidulated malt to my grain bill (typically between 3 and 5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.

That’s it.

But don’t different beer styles require different water?

Yes, that’s correct.
Roasty beers (stouts, porters), I skip the acidulated malt.
Hoppy syles (APA, IPA, IIPA), I also add 1tsp of gypsum
Soft water beers (Czech Pils), I cut the calcium chloride down to 1/2tsp
British styles, I double the calcum chloride, and add 1tsp of gypsum."

Frank Hiller Sr

Competitions Coordinator - 2018 Brewer of the Year
I use 50% RO and 50% tap run through a carbon block filter, and use the following for additions: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/ This is probably the source of your method. The acidulated malt addition help bring mash pH down into the 5.1-5.5 range, while the other salts help with the beer taste. I spent alot of time over the years trying to re-create specific water profiles using Beersmith and Brunwater to get my beers to taste better, but in the end you are re-creating the given tap water profiles at a specific location: that is BEFORE the local brewer adds whatever salts (if any) they add for their beer. Using this primer has made brew days a bit easier, and to answer your question, it has certainly improved my beers!

Chris Smith

Tech Officer
Dan, I've used that exact same method for the past couple of years. Works great. I can't figure out water spreadsheets and stopped worrying about it, just added a bit of calcium chloride and some acidulated malt for 80% of my beers.