Water chemistry

John Pursglove

Events Coordinator
Hi I am wondering if anyone has a general idea of the water profile for the Audubon NJ area. We use NJ American Water. I contacted them but they sent me partial information from like 10 years ago.

Thanks.

Over the years a bunch of members have had their water tested and have posted their results on the Google sheet below. I also just purchased a home test kit and would be willing to test a water sample for your brewing water. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KGstcR3zZ_46q0n1wCOXRiLBCulmJUbG0AxoUvvoZKk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for finding the sheet @Andy Bonner. @Norm Bittner has been asking me for it and I couldn't remember where it was. Hey @Chris Smith, maybe we could pin it to the boards somewhere for easy reference.

So I am moving at the end of the month and the new place has a water softener. Anyone has experience with one when it comes to brewing?

My understanding is that Water Softeners take the calcium out of your water and replace it with sodium, but leave all the bicarbonate behind. This leaves you with a highly buffered water that will take more acids to adjust water pH. Your best bet is to see if you can bypass the softener. This is what I do at home with my water softener.

There may already be a bypass installed. Not sure how handy you are, but if you follow the plumbing that feeds the softener back towards the main, there may be a bypass already present. Good luck.

If it's there I can find it but I also need a utility sink installed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have a water softener also. Mine also has a bypass. Sometimes I use the bypass, but then I'm dealing with really hard water (I have a well, and the water from it is supposedly really hard). Advice columns always say to avoid the softened water, buy sometimes I use the softened water and throw some gypsum into the mash. It depends on the style, my softened water gives the beer a "chewier" mouthfeel, so if its a style where I like that, I use the gypsum and softened water, if not I go bypass.

We found where our bypass was by having a water softener maintenance guy examine it and he pointed it out to us.

I have a water softener also. Mine also has a bypass. Sometimes I use the bypass, but then I'm dealing with really hard water (I have a well, and the water from it is supposedly really hard). Advice columns always say to avoid the softened water, buy sometimes I use the softened water and throw some gypsum into the mash. It depends on the style, my softened water gives the beer a "chewier" mouthfeel, so if its a style where I like that, I use the gypsum and softened water, if not I go bypass.

We found where our bypass was by having a water softener maintenance guy examine it and he pointed it out to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started using distilled water and adding water treatment for the style. Starting to see a big difference. Of course I live in moorestown and we have water issues. Anyone know anything about RO systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was bored and playing with BeerSmith Water Profile Tool. Here is a list of adjusted water profiles by style (plus a few location based) using a base water profile of Medford NJ (that looks like it came stock from Beersmith)

You would need to open this as a recipe then go to edit as if you wanted to update it. Highlight each water ingredient 1 at a time and then on right hand side click "Save Item"

If this works right, when you add water to your recipe it will ask if you want to add the mineral ingredients.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wk2KdcO6SIfzd1CJZW1qBUtONgxFlQQD

Last edited:
Back