Where are my hops

Justin Clerval

South Jersey FC Member
So I brewed an IPA two weeks ago, 20 IBUs at 60 min, then additions at 10, 5, whirlpool, and a dry hop addition. I racked it today to a keg and nothing, or at least very little hop aroma. The bitterness seems to be right, not to over the top, but there on the back end, but very little aroma. Mind you I'm tasting this uncarbed, and room temp.

What could cause this? Water, recipe, bad luck?

Any info, thoughts, theories would be welcome.

The recipe is a variation on the Halloween IPA from the new Modern Homebrew Recipes book

I've had this happen. If whirlpool or chilling takes a long time, all your additions are effectively backed up. A 20 minute delay would be enough. That would increase bitterness at the expense of aroma. The drop hop is a little puzzling, though. Is it possible the hops floated to the top and your sample came from the bottom? I find post-fermentation additions in my kegs frequently don't get evenly dispersed without some help.

So the beer is kegged, carbed, and was served to children on Halloween. They seemed to love it. I think the beer is good, its has a bit of bittering bite but not astringent or a pallet wrecker. It seems pretty balanced, but still no hops on the nose. Very strange...

I'll bring some to the meeting

Back