Simple method method for brewing with RO water

I'd like to start using RO water for brewing and came across this simple method. I have looked at different spreadsheets and programs ,and read a bunch of different tutorials, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
If I follow these directions would it improve my beer?

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/02/water-chemistry-how-to-build-your-water.html

From the website:

"....So how do I start building my water, I’ve seen brewing water calculators online, they look very complicated?

Assuming your source water isn’t off-the-charts hard, post-RO, it’ll be relatively devoid of minerals (remember 9 to 1 reduction). For the basic style of beer, I simply:

-Add 1tsp of calcium chloride per 5 gallons of water
-Add 2% acidulated malt to my grain bill (typically between 3 and 5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.

That’s it.

But don’t different beer styles require different water?

Yes, that’s correct.
Roasty beers (stouts, porters), I skip the acidulated malt.
Hoppy syles (APA, IPA, IIPA), I also add 1tsp of gypsum
Soft water beers (Czech Pils), I cut the calcium chloride down to 1/2tsp
British styles, I double the calcum chloride, and add 1tsp of gypsum."

I use 50% RO and 50% tap run through a carbon block filter, and use the following for additions: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/ This is probably the source of your method. The acidulated malt addition help bring mash pH down into the 5.1-5.5 range, while the other salts help with the beer taste. I spent alot of time over the years trying to re-create specific water profiles using Beersmith and Brunwater to get my beers to taste better, but in the end you are re-creating the given tap water profiles at a specific location: that is BEFORE the local brewer adds whatever salts (if any) they add for their beer. Using this primer has made brew days a bit easier, and to answer your question, it has certainly improved my beers!

Dan, I've used that exact same method for the past couple of years. Works great. I can't figure out water spreadsheets and stopped worrying about it, just added a bit of calcium chloride and some acidulated malt for 80% of my beers.

Back