DIY Project Workshops

There was also some discussion on whirlpooling earlier in this thread.
I made up a quick soft copper tube to test a whirlpool in my pot during my Sunday brew day, and after 2 batches, I think it does not work for an electric kettle. I ran it about 10 min after flameout, during the 15ish minute cooldown, and continued after pulling out the IC and Hop bags for maybe another 10 min. Until the hop bags were out the flow was clearly not very effective. Once the liquid level dropped near the bottom, there was no discernible trub pile. I'll bet the element totally messes up the flow on the bottom.
Or my tube just sucked, and did not work as it should have. I'll practice with some water and see what happens.
And I did learn one thing, when a hop bag gets sucked into the kettle outlet, it's a pain to get it unstuck. Right now it's just an open 1/2" pipe thread. I'm not sure how best to address this yet, although it only happened 1 time between the 2 brews.

I switched up my bittering hop containment between the 2 batches as well. My hop basket/screen seems to be getting a buildup on it, and is so fine I was not able to scrub it as so well. I already know it's too fine, so I'm looking at making a much larger one for better flow, and with coarser screen. The second batch had bittering hops in a free floating bag instead of the basket, and this is the one that got sucked into the outlet. The later additions were also in bags so I could leave them in until the cooldown was done. For 1 batch I let them float free and the other had them tied to the pot handles. The only difference I noted was that when they floated free the strings got tangled, but as they are totally different beers I can't compare flavor differences.

Sure. Just clear it with my wife. :)

I'd like to compare hop management options. I've used hop socks and free additions and have parts for a spider, but haven't built it yet. My free nights are usually Monday and Tuesday.

Dave Greenbaum said:
[post]1978[/post] Sure. Just clear it with my wife. :)

I'd like to compare hop management options. I've used hop socks and free additions and have parts for a spider, but haven't built it yet. My free nights are usually Monday and Tuesday.

That's what I figured the first gathering would be about. I'm also interested in getting feedback on any of the options, not just what I've found with my own devices.

I tried to catch hot break in my screen basket, and only managed to get a few stray grain particles. The break may clump, but flows right through the screen!

Ok, so there is a change in plan. The Club Planning committee wants to hold the Hop management DIY workshop as a meeting night event (kind of a DIY Kit format). A schedule of club activities is forthcoming.

Given this, I'm still fine with doing this as part of a DIY night for those that might want it sooner rather than later. So far I've only heard from Dave Greenbaum regarding current interest. He likes Monday or Tuesday.

What other DIY project ideas would be of interest to the group?

Some of my own things I've got queued up are:
  • Mash Tun Temp Probe
    Adding an element to my backup kettle for HLT
    Re-build of my Electric Controller to support the HLT (using STC1000PID)
    Updates to my STC1000+ Fermentation Temp Controller
    Bourbon Barrel Aging

Sorry got tied up and forgot to reply yes I'm in for hop management project. Those nights work for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Feb 8th and 9th are set aside on my schedule for DIY nights at my shop in Edgewater Park. I'm thinking 2 nights in a row is better than 1 a week or 2 apart. The future nights of the week can vary to the interest.

I'll give a shout out at the meeting, but here's what I'll have for show and tell and play:

Hop mgmt devices of all sorts that will lead into the May meeting.
Kettle punch and solder for electric element.
Cooler temp probe.

Bob Thompson said:
[post]1792[/post] I would still like to work on something like this:

http://beer.suregork.com/?p=3087

Bob, if want to do this screen in the link shoot me a PM and we can discuss details. It's pretty much exactly what I made. If anyone else is interested speak up. I can have material available.

FYI all, I will have ample polyester material for hop/spice socks. These are great for string tie bags, and for hop spiders. You do the sewing.

The location of my shop for the DIY sessions Feb 8th & 9th can be found in this member only post: http://forum.barleylegalhomebrewers.com/viewtopic.php?p=1342#p1342.
The rest of that post is my Sept Brew day. Probably doing it again this Sept.

Anytime after 5pm is fine. I'll be there.

And anyone that just wants to stop in and see whats going on, by all means stop in.
Don't forget some homebrew to share!

John

It's not too late to stop in tonight and see Bob finish his hop basket.
And a thanks to Dave for stopping in and sharing his hop stick story.

Looks like I may have to hold off on the next workshop till next month. A huge project with 'the day job' is consuming too much of my time for the next 4 weeks or so.
If things quiet down later this month I may try to schedule a date.

The next round of DIY projects is proposed for the week of April 25-28. Please give a shout if you're interested, and which day works for you.

The May Meeting is featuring DIY, so this next project night will lead into that. The theme is still the same, filtering and hop management. I'll have SS Hop Spiders, SS mesh baskets and a filter/randall projects available. I'll have another post in a few days with show and tell. If you've got a SS soldering project you want to work one, that could work as well.

Anyone that can't make it for project night, but is still interested in something for use on BBD, let me know and we'll see what we can work out for meeting night.

The filters and SS Hop Spider rings have to be ordered in advance, so speak up if interested. I'm thinking that the spiders projects will be $15-20 and the filter $20-25 (not including filter media). I'll have a final price before the project night.

John,
I'd be interested in a hop spider, but would want a very wide diameter. Like 7-8 inches. I assume there'll be more product cost with something like that. Let me know what you think.

Dan, from a cost perspective a pre made SS ring is important. The 4" one is only $10.50.
I'll see what I can find. A flat rolled sleeve is not the worst. Small dia and long enough J bolts for legs are hard to find, threaded rod is alternative.

That's all Greek to me. Basically looking for a SS mesh basket that I could either hook over the side of my pot, or clip on with a metal clamp.

Dan_Ell_Wang_Er said:
That's all Greek to me. Basically looking for a SS mesh basket that I could either hook over the side of my pot, or clip on with a metal clamp.
I have something like this that I no longer use. If you want to check it out I can send a picture.

Back