Barley Legal 2017 NFL Eliminator

Chris Smith

Tech Officer
Basically copied and pasted from last year:

NFL season is about to start. For the 5th or 6th year in a row, let's do an Eliminator. Rules are simple, pick one team each week to win, you can't pick the same team twice in the year. Wrong pick you're out, last person left wins.

For the past few years we've played for a 6-pack of beer. Homebrew preferred, good commercial if you don't have a sixer ready. Payment due to the winner upon completion of the eliminator. Please pay, this is just for fun and I don't want to have to track everyone down. It's only a six-pack!

Here's the info to join:

http://games.espn.com/nfl-eliminato...wOUVBQUE2N0IwNn0=&ex_cid=eliminator2016_email

Group: Barley Legal Homebrewers
Password: barleylegal

It's fun, and I'll keep updating this thread week to week to let everyone know it's going.

Just a reminder that football is starting this week. Join now and have a chance to win some beer!

Hi... I'm trying to log in,but it's saying the credentials are incorrect. I've made sure they are spelled correctly. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Tara Talbot - not sure if joking or not, but if you picked the Dolphins and/or Bucs, you might want to re-pick. That game was cancelled this weekend because of the hurricane. Not sure if ESPN's site fixed that yet or not!

AevgXrO.jpg

Week 1 Recap

Week 1 is in the books (at least for us as no one picked tonight's game) and it was, I thought, a tough week to pick!

Winners:
samg2108? (sorry I'm not sure who this is) is safe with a pick of the Panthers over the 49ers. The Panthers easily dispatched the Niners holding them to only 3 points and winning 23-3. Tough to win when you only score 3!

Cleteur, Andrea, and myself are safe with the pick of the Bills over the Jets. The Jets are going to be a dumpster fire this year, and you could probably go pretty far picking against them every week. 21-12 was the final score (anyone want to listen to some Rush?)

Shawn, Tim, Chris, and Andy are all safe with Atlanta over the Bears. The game was a lot closer than it should've been and the Bears could've knocked some people out in Week 1 if they could've scored on their last drive, but lost 23-17/

Dan, Kru, and Kristina? (I think, let me know!) Are all safe with Pittsburgh over the Browns. Another game that was a nail biter, Pittsburgh only beat the arguably worst team in the entire league by 3 points. Fun Fact - Roethlisberger now has more wins in Cleveland since the Browns were "re-introduced" in 1999 than any other QB, including all Browns QBs.

Losers:
It's almost not fair. I begged Tara to join, then she went and picked Miami which got rescheduled and finally settled on the Jets. Sure that's not a great pick, but it would've been nice to have her around for a few more weeks.

And lastly, Paul, along with the rest of the NFL, was shocked when the Superbowl Defending Patriots lost their season opener, at home, by 15, 42-27. Good news for Pats fans, the last three times they started the season 0-1 they won the Superbowl, so there's that.

That leaves us with 11 for week 2, good luck everyone left!

Week 2 Recap

Week 2 is complete. And we don't get to say goodbye to anyone this week. Whomp Whomp.

samg2108, myself, Cleteur, Andrea, Kristina are all safe with Oakland over the Jets. Jets are bad, m-kay. And they had to fly across the country to play the Raiders, a team that has a decent chance of making the playoffs. The Raiders crushed the Jets 45-20

Tim, Andy, Dan, and Kru are all safe with Seattle over the 49ers. Low scoring game, but enough on Seattle's side to pull off the W. 12-9

Shawn picked against the Browns (never a bad idea.) I think you could go pretty far in this competition by picking against either the Browns or Jets every week. Ravens took care of business 24-10

And lastly Chris West is safe with a pick of Arizona over the Colts. The Colts without Luck are going to have nothing but bad luck until he returns (if he does this season.) 16-13 was the final.

Good luck everyone, same 11 players for week 3!

Week 3 Recap

Week 3 is finished and it was a wild one!

Winners:
Myself and Kru are safe with the Patriots narrowly squeaking by the Texans 36-33

Kristina takes the ever safe bet of going against the Browns, but the Browns kept it close again making everyone nervous. Colts win, 31-28.

Chris West takes the Eagles over the Giants. The best Elliott in the NFCE (undeniable at this point, I can't even THINK of another Elliott) hits a 61 yard field goal with 1s left for the win, setting records for Rookie kickers, Eagles kickers, field goals at the Linc, and the first kicker to ever hit a 60+ yard field goal before hitting a 50+. 27-24

And in the closest winning game of the week, samg2108, Cleteur, Shawn, and Dan take the Packers over the Bengals. It took Aaron Rodgers first overtime win, ever, in order for us to not lose 4 more players this week. 27-24 OT.

Losers:
Andrea and Tim chose Miami to win over the Jets. Jets shocked the world by winning a game this year, probably blowing their draft chances, and knocking two players out. 20-6

Andy took Pittsburgh to beat the Bears. I think most Bears fans would've chose the Steelers in this game, but alas, a 23-17 victory for Da' Bears knocks one more player out this year.

8 players left for next week, good luck everyone!

Week 4 Recap

No one picked tonight's game so we're finished for the week. At least once a season I get to use this graphic:
blade-bloodbath.jpg

Half of the players playing in Week 4 are no longer with us for Week 5

Winners

Kru took the Packers to beat the Bears on Thursday night. This game was essentially over in the first quarter and the Packers went on with win comfortably 35-14

Two people, Myself and Shawn, picked the Cardinals over the 49ers. What a pathetic game. 18-15 in overtime, no TDs in regulation, and Arizona needed one of their "Throw it to Fitz in the endzone" to win it in overtime. 49ers are terrible, but somehow get all other teams to play down to their level.

Chris West took Seattle to beat the visiting Colts on Sunday night. Seahawks offense showed up and put 46 up against the Colts who only managed 18.

Losers
SamG and Cleteur both chose Atlanta over the Bills. Dare we say that the Bills have a team this year? Atlanta could've become the first team since the Bills in the '90s I think, to go 4-0 coming off a Superbowl loss. Maybe, though, this is better for the Falcons, since the Bills never did manage to win one of those Superbowls back in the 90s.

Kristina and Dan are both out after picking Dallas to win against the St Louis LA Rams. LA showed up to play, hit 7 field goals and a pair of touchdowns to beat the Cowboys 35-30 in Dallas. And succeeded in knocking up two more players.

Only 4 players left for next week, good luck to those who are left!

Week 5 Recap

This has happened more than once, and it's always fun. In week 5 of the season, the 4 remaining members have ALL picked the wrong team.

Winners
Lets be honest, no one won this week.

Losers
Chris West, Shawn, and myself picked the Steelers over the Jags. Big Ben threw 5, repeat FIVE interceptions including two pick-sixes on their way to a 30-9 loss. Wow, what a terrible game.

And Kru is out picking his own Giants to beat the visiting Chargers. In a back and forth game riddled with injuries to the entire Giants wide receiving corp, the Chargers pulled it out 27-22.

I'll be contacting the 4 losers to decide what to do now. In the past we've done one of two things, we can either split the beer 4 ways, or the 4 of us can pick next week as if we all won this week (so you still can't pick the team you picked and lost it for you, everything else stays the same.) My personal vote is to pick next week and keep going to try to get it down to one "winner" and/or a split between two people instead of 4. Splitting 4 ways seems like a lot of work for very little benefit.

Assuming that's what we do, good luck to your new picks the 4 of us left!

Week 6 Recap

So for those of you keeping up, all four people last week picked a losing team. We decided to have those 4 people pick again and continue going.

Winners
Myself and Shawn both picked the Texans to beat the Browns. Even absent JJ Watt the Browns didn't have a chance and the Texans destroyed the Browns 33-17.

Losers
Kru picked The Falcons to beat the Dolphins. Should've been a safe bet, but apparently Atlanta has a real hard time holding on to leads (who else remembers the Superbowl last year? Pepperidge Farm remembers. The Falcons were winning 17-0 but lost 20-17.

Chris West picked what I thought was the other really safe game of the week, the Giants traveling to Denver. In Chris's defense, Brock Oswelier played QB for a few quarters for Denver so .... The G-Men shocked everyone by winning 23-10.

So now it's down to Shawn and me, so good luck to us!

Back